Monday, July 14, 2008

What a Vacation......Not Really!!

Well for about a year now, I had been anticipating a family reunion in Hawaii, on the isle of Kauai. It had been forever and a day since I had seen Ohana (sorry translation....family in hawaiian) that live in Hawaii. But little did I know that a thing called "the economy" would put a damper on my vacation plans. In January of this year I had been scoping out the price of airline tickets online everywhere..you name it: Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheaptickets, and a gang of other places. At that time the roundtrip tickets from NY to Kauai, were decent with the average price going around $7-800. But I opted not to purchase the tickets so far in advance (...later I would beat myself over the head with that decision), mainly because in October of last year I had bought a new Jeep, so I chose to pay extra towards my car payments. At that time I didn't think anything of it, with there being mounds and mounds of overtime hours at my job, I just figured i'd save up money towards the Hawaii trip. Alright...fast forward to late April, early May in which that bad "economy" stuff started to come into play. The mounds of OT hours I was racking up at work, had become almost non-existent, the price of gas prices had reached an all-time high, and yes...the plane tickets }}insert: beating myself in the head{{ had reached an astronomical amount with the average for a plane ticket to Hawaii being a rough $12-$1300!!! What!!! Are you kidding me?? That was just the the airfare alone, that didn't include the hotel, the rental car, or spending money!! Needless to say, my vacation plans to Hawaii nei had turned to gloom. Although I wasn't the only one to feel the economy, my aunty & uncle, and a plethora of cousins had decided not to go. Instead I sit here typing in front of my PC.....while on vacation..nonetheless....ugggghhhh!! Chilling out within the confines of the lovely Adirondack Mountain in Hawaii.....errr nope.......NY!!

2 comments:

tiki_lady said...

you need to come see me and bring keawe!

LeolaniNYC said...

d, i love that you're blogging! i live in the big city, just south of you so you are always welcome to see me here if you'd like.
the reunion was great but i totally understand the whole $$ bit. i bought my ticket in march and it was just over $700, still expensive. nonetheless, the food you missed was awesome and i ate your share. love you!